Sunday 1 July 2007

Afrobeat: Yoruba Funk





I watched Forest Whittaker's fantastic perfomance as Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland today and it has prompted me to get some sounds of Africa onto Ugly Talented.

Fela Kuti was at the vanguard of this sound and is an obvious choice but I've chosen a track from his Africa 70 drummer, Tony Allen, purely because I was so excited to hear it during the film. I really, really wanted to put Fela's and Roy Ayers' "2000 Blacks Got To Be Free" up but I'm going to put that aside for another day.

Instead we've got three more African heavyweights in the form of Manu Dibango, Babatunde Olatunji and Buari.

Tony Allen - Afro Disco Beat

Manu Dibango - African Battle

Babatunde Olatunji - Soul Makossa

Buari - Advice from Father

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Afro Beat shout out!

Post a Comment